Monday, May 9, 2016

Mother's love...

Recently my grandmother spent a few days at the hospital. While her lungs struggled their way back, she worried about the six month old child of the nurse she met an hour ago. She slept only after the nurse assured her that the baby was with the grandparents. Mother's love is divine and perhaps therefore forever.

On Mother’s day, there is a lot of talk about mother’s love and what a child means to a mother.  The child, who made her a mother, transformed her life and made her love unconditionally; the child for whom she endured pain and whose happiness means everything to her.  When I read inspirational stories about single dads, step moms and/or adoptive parents that nurture a child’s future, I am convinced that mother’s love is god’s gift to all; one just has to pour it.

Life has taken me many places and never let me miss out on mother’s love. While my unkempt look and penchant to give back to the community are part of my mother’s legacy, aiming for perfection is my aunt’s legacy to me.  And when I am travelling, I often think of them and miss their immediate presence in my life.  The warmth in their hug, the contagious smile that daunts at every challenge, the joy in stealing/wearing their saris and endless yapping are just few of the things I miss about both my mothers.

I wanted to make this mother’s day special but I was unable to think of a fitting gift, something that could represent the love. I could buy a bouquet of flowers but they will wither with time. Chocolates and candies cannot be sweeter than her love and clothes may not do justice to the beauty of the relationship.  Mother’s love is so unique, pure and precious that I could not think of a wrapped gift to match the bond.

So this time, I decided to do something that would mean a lot to them. My mother in Dallas has been working hard for past few weeks, so I cooked a dish, cleaned the kitchen and gave her a warm tight hug just like she preferred – after shower.  I hope she knows she is loved.  And for my mother in India, I spoke with her as long as her heart desired. And as she wrapped up the call, I knew from her voice, it meant the world to her.  

1 comment:

  1. Lovely touching article Swati, you have expressed Mother's love beautifully Indeed its very true that mothers love is eternal

    ReplyDelete

If accessing the link from your phone - "Please select Name/URL from the drop down to comment. You can leave the url blank".