Sunday, October 6, 2013

Me - Time Sundays!

I love me-time Sundays!  The past few hectic weekends had me craving for some “me-time” and finally here it was....and it felt great! I hoped to catch up with my soul buddies but not before I check on my parents. And just then I wondered – Did my parents ever get any individual me-time? They probably enjoyed some when they’d chase us off to our grandparents but there is something therapeutic about individual me-time, something I am certain they never got to experience at least not as much as new parents do these days.

Few years ago, when life was not as busy and when there was no face book, I had a lot of such me-time Sundays. I would sip my piping hot cuppa chai on a squeaky swing chair looking across a creek. I’d hear the birds sing their song or envy the bunnies aimlessly hop around; my cardio class made us hop like bunnies one time and I sprained my ankle after 2 hops! Occasionally two ducks would wade in the creek and cast a glance at me (so I think). In silence, we all chatted – soul to soul. It meant a lot!

After almost 5 years, I am enjoying me-time Sunday again. I walked by the same swing, it looks unused. It greeted me with the familiar ‘squeak’ and I smile. The creek seems to have lost a lot of water, perhaps it cried a wee long time for some attention. When creeks cry, they lose water. The birds were still singing their song...I can’t remember if it’s the same song. I look out for the bunnies; I wanted to tell them I can do 10 hops now (after so many years) but they are perhaps hibernating.  The two ducks are now wading with 3 little ducklings. Sweet life! I missed out on a lot!

Our desire to accomplish and to be successful has overtaken our life so much that we forget to smell the roses, feel the cool breeze and smile for no reason. Not too long ago, the bunnies, the birds, their song, the creek, the ducks and the swing were all part of my me-time. As I pursued different interests, I cut them out of my life. Yet today, despite everything they still gave me their time and let me walk away with the one thing they still had intact – the peace within.  

1 comment:

  1. Hope those bunnies read that you can do 10 hops now, and SMILE FOR NO REASON!! :)

    ReplyDelete

If accessing the link from your phone - "Please select Name/URL from the drop down to comment. You can leave the url blank".